National Assisted Living Week, September 10-16, celebrates caregivers and individuals served in assisted living. It’s a special opportunity for residents, their loved ones, staff, volunteers, and surrounding communities to honor caregivers for their commitment and learn more about this sector of long-term care.
Assisted living communities provide social support and convenience services in a life-enhancing environment. National Assisted Living Week is the perfect time to recognize the role of caregivers in delivering high-quality, individual care to each resident. We hope this occasion will encourage members of the public to tour an assisted living community and witness this devotion first-hand.
Here are some tips for touring an assisted living facility to see if it’s the right fit for you or a loved one:
- First impressions count. Make sure the facility is clean and well-lit. Do you feel at ease?
- Look for safety features like grab bars and nonslip flooring materials, especially in the bathrooms.
- Pay special attention to the resident living spaces to see if comfort and personal needs are met. Find out how often housekeeping services are offered.
- Watch for red flags. Observe the interaction between staff members and residents. Is it cheerful and respectful?
- Stay for a meal. Check the menu and dining options. Are the residents enjoying the food?
- Take a look at the activity calendar and observe group activities and social events. Are they well attended?
- Investigate outdoor areas. Are the grounds well-maintained, secure and accessible and conducive for outdoor activities?
For more information call Andrea Campisi, Director of Marketing, at (925) 964-2062.